What you can’t see or smell can kill you

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning claims hundreds of lives each year, more than 15,000 visit ERs


Make text smaller Make text larger




Emergency physicians see the tragic consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning each year, especially during the winter months when people begin using heating devices and stoves to keep warm or use portable generators without proper ventilation.

“This colorless, odorless gas is deadly if you don’t take precautionary steps or notice the symptoms,” said Dr. Andrew Sama, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians. “Thinking about it now and acting to prevent the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning may save your life and the lives of those around you.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for approximately 15,000 emergency department visits and nearly 500 deaths annually in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Emergency physicians urge everyone to spot the potential signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A young boy in Boston tragically was killed by carbon monoxide following that city’s blizzard a few weeks ago. He was in a car trying to stay warm but the exhaust pipe of the vehicle was covered in snow forcing carbon monoxide in the car.

SYMPTOMS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING INCLUDE:

Headache
Dizziness
Weakness
Nausea

Vomiting

Chest Pain

Confusion

Carbon monoxide poisoning often is difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses.

“If you get bad headaches or suffer from any of these symptoms, you may easily confuse them with the flu,” said Dr. Sama. “People should be concerned about the possible presence of carbon monoxide if more than one person living or working together develops these symptoms simultaneously over a short period of time.”

Also, people who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from carbon monoxide poisoning without ever experiencing symptoms, or knowing they are experiencing them.

Of course, we always urge people to call 911 if they feel they may be experiencing an emergency.

Ways to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Have gas appliances installed or maintained by a qualified professional.

Install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of a home, especially near sleeping areas.

Never leave a motor running of a vehicle parked in an enclosed garage.

Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors. Even if they don’t have flames, they burn case and release carbon monoxide in homes, cabins or campers.

Never use a charcoal grill indoors.

Make sure all gas appliances (grills, camp stoves, power tools, generators, etc.) are properly vented so that carbon monoxide does not build in homes, cabins or campers.

Turn on the exhaust fan over your gas stove when using it.

Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.

Have chimneys checked and cleaned every year.

Make sure fireplace flues are open during use.

For more information on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning or other emergency related issues visit EmergencyCareForYou.org.

ACEP is the national medical specialty society representing emergency medicine. ACEP is committed to advancing emergency care through continuing education, research and public education. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, ACEP has 53 chapters representing each state, as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. A Government Services Chapter represents emergency physicians employed by military branches and other government agencies.


Make text smaller Make text larger

MUST READ NEWS

Image Elks American flag program underway
For a $25 donation, you can sponsor a 3' by 5' American flag that will be flown on Memorial Day, Flag Day, the week of 4th...
Image Good health is all the rage
The West Milford Lions Club and the township's Health Department held the 5th annual Health Fair last Saturday at the West...
Anne M. Vogel
Anne M. Vogel of West Milford passed away May 1, 2017. She was 89.
Wife of the late Edward F. Vogel for 52 years and daughter of the late Frank and Amelia Molly (Formisano)...
Marie D. Palminteri
Marie D. Palminteri, nee Pizzamenti, passed away May 11, 2017. She was 72.
Wife of the late Louis A. Palminteri Sr., and daughter of the late Carl and Bambina (Brulato)...

VIDEOS


Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!

  • Enter your email address in the box below.
  • Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
  • Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.

Comments

Pool Rules



MOST COMMENTED



West Milford, NJ