Take Five with Samantha Mays
Name: Samantha Mays
School/Grade: West Milford High School/Senior
Activity/Sport: National Art Honor Society
This week we Take Five with Samantha Mays, a recent graduate of West Milford High School. Samantha is a gifted artist, but that's not what she'll be pursuing come the fall. Go to our website, westmilfordmessenger.com to read our bonus five with Samantha.
1. How did you get involved with the National Art Honor Society?
When I heard about the National Art Honor Society as a freshman, I knew I wanted to become a member. After taking two years of art classes, I was officially invited into the Honor Society. I was then elected as one of the co-presidents at the beginning of my senior year.
2. Who is your biggest inspiration?
As a member of NAHS, I am constantly surrounded by young, gifted artists. Everyone has their own way of expressing themselves through their artwork. So, rather than having one, big inspiration, I feel as though I am always inspired by my fellow art students at West Milford High School.
3. What would most people be surprised to know about the art honor society?
Most people would be surprised about the amount of community service projects we participate in. From set painting for the annual spring musical, to designing the circulation desk in the West Milford Township Library, we’re always involved!
4. Who is your favorite teacher of all time? Why?
Mrs. Cosgrove is my favorite teacher of all time. She has been my art teacher for four years, and has helped me grow not only as an artist, but as a person overall.
5. Share something no one knows about you.
Overall, I would say I am an open person, but not a lot of people know that I’m not going on to college to pursue an artistic career. I’ll be attending St. John’s University in the fall to study business/marketing.
It's always good to have knowledge of business and marketing, no matter your talents! We wish you the very best of luck and congratulate you on your successes. There is much more to come for such a talented young lady.
Do you know someone who should be featured here at Take Five? Let us know. Email us at njoffice.com and tell us who and why. We want to feature all of the wonderful, talented kids in the community.
6. Name three things you would bring with you if you were on a deserted island?
If I were on a deserted island, I would bring my sketchbook, a drawing pencil, and my iPod.
7. Share a favorite moment with the honor society.
One of my favorite memories with the National Honor Society was our trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
8. What does being a Highlander mean to you?
Being a Highlander means to be proud of the community that you live in.
9. What do you do with your time, when you are not working with the honor society?
When I’m not in the art room, I’m most likely spending time with friends, with my Antioch team, going to dance class, or painting at home.
10. What is your favorite movie, book or character? Why?
I love both reading books and watching movies; picking my favorite would be nearly impossible!
MUST READ NEWS
Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!
- Enter your email address in the box below.
- Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
- Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.