FDNY EMT Liam Glinane leaves hospital after stroke

West Milford. Township resident, and New York City Fire Department EMT, Liam Glinane is out of the hospital after suffering a stroke while driving an ambulance in the city in October.

03 Dec 2019 | 06:57

After winning a seven-week fight to overcome stroke damage to his body, emergency worker Liam Glinane of Newfoundland was able to walk out of Mt. Sinai Hospital on Nov. 27.

Glinane, 63, said he wants to return to his job as a New York Fire Department Emergency Services worker.

He said he thinks this is the best job in the world and he is anxious to get back to it.

Glinane was driving an ambulance on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway on Oct. 17 when he suffered a massive stroke and he veered off the road.

When Fire Department of New York Lt. Raymond Wang, 47, arrived at the scene to help Glinane, Wang suffered an aortic aneurysm.

Both men were immediately rushed to Mt. Sinai Hospital in Queens.

Glinane was later transferred to Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan for further care.

Wang was released from the hospital on Oct. 30.

A volunteer fireman in the Township of West Milford since 1990, Glinane was honored by local officials with the prestigious West Milford Lifetime Volunteer award in 2003.

He has been a first responder in New York City for 28 years.

As Glinane left the hospital, a bagpipe band honored the Irish-American and others including EMTS were there with support.

West Milford Mayor Michele Dale praised him for his courage and dedication to become well again.

“To walk out on your own power and own terms is not a bad package for Thanksgiving,” Glinane said. “I’m self-sufficient, I’m not a burden, I’m back in the game. I’ve got another shot at life. I’m looking forward to going home to a Thanksgiving meal.”

At a televised press conference Dr. Reade Deleacy said Glinane initially had paralysis of the left side of the body, inability to speak properly, and poor awareness of where he was in space and his location.

It was an incredibly serious illness, the doctor said, with a clot that blocked an artery in Glinane’s brain being removed.

“He’s doing incredibly well, walking under his own steam, talking, joking, hoping to get back to work,” the physician continued. “This is amazing.”

Glinane highly praised Dr. Deleacy and the hospital staff who were dedicated to his recovery process.