Firefighters put out two-alarm fire in Hewitt

04 Feb 2016 | 02:36

BY ERIKA NORTON
Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire in the Hewitt section of West Milford Township Tuesday morning. Two adults and one child were displaced but were not at home at the time of the fire, according to West Milford Township Fire Marshal Mike Moscatello.

The blaze occurred at a home located at 274 Lake Shore Drive and was reported to the local fire departments at 11:49 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 2. According to Moscatello, the fire appeared to have started outside the home from the chimney flue of the home’s wood-burning stove and extended up the side of the house into the attic, burning across the attic area. It burned right through the roof on half of the house, he said.

The fire was extinguished within an hour. According to Moscatello, one firefighter suffered a minor ankle injury. He was taken to the hospital and later released.

The house is uninhabitable at this time and the cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental.

West Milford Fire Companies 3, 4, 5 and 6, and Ringwood and Vernon firefighters responded to the call.