The volunteer firefighters of West Milford Fire Company 6 recently celebrated 75 years of service. They thanked community members for their continuous support at a recent open house at its 106 Ridge Road headquarters.The company needs more volunteers as long time firefighters get ready to retire. Those who want to give back to their community by being ready to help their neighbors can stop at the fire house for information. Monday night drills begin there each week at 7 p.m. The fire company was incorporated on June 7, 1944.One of the township’s historic buildings where private businesses now operate was the location for the first Company 6 firehouse. Before that, the site at 1468 Union Valley Road was the Junior Order of United Mechanics Hall. The building was again remodeled for other uses when more sophisticated fire equipment necessitated larger department facilities.In 1970, the Ridge Road property was purchased and the present fire house was built.Today, the original building is the location for the Town Cycle bike shop and Lightroom photography studio. Events and donations earned the $1,500 needed to transform the hall into a fire house 75 years ago.The firemen did the work themselves, knocking down a wall, adding double doors and making other changes.The first fire truck was Charlie Cahill’s converted Chevrolet milk truck. A 500-gallon pump for it was purchased from the Hawthorne Civil Defense Organization.At the recent open house, the firemen provided opportunity for visitors to learn about numerous aspects of fire safety by touring the fire house, observing apparatus and displays, trying on gear and seeing demonstrations. Fire safety techniques were practiced inside the Fire Safety Trailer and the firefighters demonstrated search and rescue skills through a designed maze. Attending youth tried on fire fighting gear, operated a hose line and were shown air packs. The youth’s enthusiasm and interest convinced the firemen that membership in the community fire company will continue with a new generation.