Home completely destroyed by fire

| 28 Sep 2011 | 03:02

WEST MILFORD — A man lost his home to fire last Thursday when a blaze burned the building to the ground. John Hearle, 46, told police he lit a large candle on his porch and had a soak in his hot tub. He then got out of the tub and went into the house, where he fell asleep on his couch. He was awakened by the sound of glass shattering and the porch was engulfed by flames. He attempted to put the fire out with his garden hose, but the fire was too large and when the electricity went out the well pump no longer worked. At 2:10 a.m. fire fighters received a call of fire on Pine Island (also known as Fox Island) which is on the West Milford side of Greenwood Lake. Greenwood Forest, West Milford, Upper Greenwood Lake and Macopin Fire Companies responded, as well as the State Forest Fire Service, Greenwood Lake and Erskine Lake Departments. Several ambulance units and West Milford Police Officers also responded. The homeowner suffered minor burns to his chest and face and some smoke inhalation, but refused medical treatment. One fire fighter was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Chief Joe Burden was the Incident Commander. The fire, eventually extinguished at 5:34 a.m., is under investigation.