BY ANN GENADERWEST MILFORD — In 1934 – 100 years after a New Jersey Legislative Act incorporated a new township in the County of Bergen to come out of the Township of Pompton (no longer in existence) - people were celebrating West Milford’s centennial birthday.When Passaic County was formed in 1837 West Milford had already been in existence for three years. The first town meeting was at an inn kept by Peter Demarest in Newfoundland.During the 100th anniversary celebration, statistics during the previous century were a topic. In 1850, there were 9,017 acres of improved land and 15,870 additional acres were unimproved. Cash value of the existing farms was listed at $415,625.Total population in the Township of West Milford in 1860 was 2,402 people, up from 2,108 in 1840, according to the United States Census. In 1920, the population declined to 1,763 and in 1930 it was 1,901 people.The first Colonial roads came from Indian trails. In making their trails the Native Americans initially followed tracks of animals that chose the routes of least resistance to get around. When road building began, the Indian trails were followed.The centennial celebration committee included Walter R. Vreeland, Cyrus Stickle and John C. Ryerson as honorary chairmen. John T. McCormick was general chairman, George L. Cleaveland was secretary, James Lee Holt was vice chairman and W. Somer Stites was treasurer.Business in the HighlandsThey prepared a birthday advertising book that left us with information about businesses in 1934. Here are some examples.Greenwood Lake Auto Park, with Frank Higgenbotham as proprietor, offered swimming and picnicking all day at the lake for 50 cents per car on weekdays, and $1 on Sundays and holidays. The Ringwood Company advertised Awosting as “The most beautiful residential community in the east," and "cottages built to order.”The Great Oak Inn at Greenwood Lake accommodated tourists and patrons who could dine and dance there. George Spinnler, president of Lindy’s Lake, called this place “The beauty spot of West Milford Township.” Karl Mikula, manager of Lindy’s Lake Manor, advertised chicken, duck and steak dinners and sea food “A La Carte and sandwiches” and had dancing and refreshments. DeYoung’s Stand on Otter Hole Road was advertised as being “two minutes from Lindy’s Lake Boardwalk.”Upper Greenwood Lake was advertised as “The New York Daily Mirror’s contribution to Jersey” with “HIGH altitude that’s healthful and invigorating.” All UGL “mountain resort” lots were advertised by the Mirror for the same price at $97.50 each with just $10 down and $3.50 per month to pay for them.Harry Butterfield was sales agent for West Milford Lakes and Fox Isle.Hiram’s Rest Old Orchard Stand in Hewitt with Sike Monks as proprietor offered free parking and tables for picnic parties.Beech Restaurant at Upper Greenwood Lake invited the ad book readers to “Enjoy your meals in inviting cool breeze” and offered popular prices, beer on draught and boats to let.”Leo P. Little’s Kanouse Tea Room on Route 23 in Newfoundland advertised “light lunches and good beer, gas and oil.” Vogel’s General Store on Warwick Tpk., unusually described as “a country store with city prices,” was open 6 a.m. to midnight and had the telephone number of Warwick 952-F-11.Floyd Struble, who would become Passaic County Clerk after serving on the West Milford governing board, advertised Struble’s Service Station and “Service with a Smile” at Echo Lake Road, Butler. The location is actually in the Township of West Milford Apshawa section on Macopin Road. Robert Nicholson Sr. advertised, “When you travel, you need protection. A mother protects her child. A good citizen protects his town. A wise motorist protects his car and pocketbook with protected Tydol Gas, Veedol Oil and Firestone Products. Buy from your local dealers and help West Milford Township. Bob’s Service Station, Main Road, Oak Ridge NJ. Telephone Newfoundland 62.”Shell Inn on Route 23 “served meals at all hours” and had dancing every Friday and Saturday evening.Wilbur W. Fredericks featured “quality, service, satisfaction and reputation” in his sale of Pittsburgh Coal, “jet black, anthracite, pure and clean.”Fred Kimble was “The Newfoundland Barber.”The ad book leaves us with names of business people, places and products that were offered to consumers in 1934. It is hard to find any of these around today – offering proof that nothing remains the same.