This week we Take Five with Rob Ruth, a young man who achieved Eagle Scout long before most - at age 14. Rob is entering his sophomore year at Morris Catholic. He's a fan of the Hunger Games books and music. Be sure to go online at westmilfordmessenger.com to read our bonus five with Rob.
1) How did you get involved with Boy Scouts?
My mom and dad encouraged me to join Boy Scouts after I was finished with Cub Scouting.
2) What would most people be surprised to know about Boy Scouts?
In the inner cities, Boy Scouting is a way to keep kids away from drugs and gangs.
3) Name three things you would bring with you if you were on a deserted island.
A guitar, The Hunger Games series and a device to play my favorite music on.
4) What does being a Highlander mean to you?
I am not a Highlander, I am a Crusader (Morris Catholic) and this means I have the opportunity to learn how to live my faith.
5) What is your favorite movie, book or character and why?
"Into The Wild" (is my favorite movie) because the main character is an inspiring individual who learns that happiness is only happiness when shared with others.
Best of luck to you, Rob. And a big congratulations on your Eagle Scout achievement. Your dedication to your community is commendable.
Do you know someone who should be featured here at Take Five? Let us know by nominating your favorite young person. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us who and why. We want to feature all the wonderful young people in our community.
Bonus five 6) Who is your biggest inspiration?
Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance.
7) Who is your favorite teacher of all time and why?
Mr. Kozdemba because he inspired me to learn more about history.
8) Share a favorite moment with your group.
Hiking two miles through several feet of snow to build snow shelters and camp for three nights.
9) What do you do with your time when you are not participating in Boy Scouts?
Play guitar and spend time with friends.
10) Share something no one knows about you.
I am a very open person and do not keep secrets from my family or friends.